Thursday, March 28, 2019

The Scavenger

Here is the story I wrote and read for Ghost Stories Live! on March 23rd. This one has a western flavor to it, and revisits the hanging man theme, but in a different way from the original The Hanging Man story in the anthology by the same name (The Hanging Man and Other Stories). I hold the copyright to The Scavenger and it cannot be used without my permission.



The Scavenger by Susan Buffum



His left boot heel was loose, fallin’ away from the sole, a few odd bits of hay and some dried mud stuck in the gap like whiskers pokin’ from a dog’s snout. I thought I could fix that boot with a small nail or two and it’d be almost good as new. It’d be a shame to waste a pair of boots when they wasn’t all that worn. The toe was scuffed some, but the kind o’ man lookin’ for a secondhand pair of boots wouldn’t mind that much.

I peered hard at the right boot. Other than a two-inch long scar in the leather of the instep, and the same heavy layer of dust all over, it looked just fine to my eyes. I’d take ‘em just the way they were. They were good boots. I’d be able to sell ‘em right quick enough.

My eyes moved to the pants. Old, made of gray wool, a few faded yellow remnants of stripes up the outside seams. Confederate soldier.  I glanced up at his face, but in the near dark it was hard to tell what he really looked like. Did southerners look any different from northerners? I hadn’t noticed an accent. Maybe he’d bought these pants off a soldier? Or maybe he’d stolen them off a dead body on a battlefield? I was prob’bly better off not knowin’. They still had some wear in ‘em. I’d take ‘em.

The vest was brown canvas, the deep pockets saggin’ but empty. I didn’t expect there to be anythin’ in ‘em anyway. One button was missin’, just a piece of brown thread danglin’, but the other two was still sewn on.

The shirt was striped hickory, white and brown.  I could see a few stains on it, food, prob’bly. It could be laundered. Not too frayed at the cuffs. I could get somethin’ for it, I was sure.

And the coat, well, more wear and tear visible—dusty, dirty, frayed and worn cuffs and collar, some tears that might be mendable with a careful needle and thread. I’d take it, see what I could do with it. And the bandana was still bright red, fairly new. I nodded, satisfied. That was nice.

No hat. No gloves. Belt’d been removed, someone else’s prize.

It’d all need a good launderin’. Truth be told, it all stunk to high heaven. But, it could be washed.

I turned my face up to the evening sky, watching three crows wing by. Purple clouds hung like a pall over the distant blue mountains, obscuring their peaks. A gust of wind caused the branches of the old cottonwood tree to creak like an old granny’s bones. It moaned through the nearly barren branches, rattlin’ what leaves remained on ‘em.

Sighin’, I grabbed the top of the left boot and began tuggin’ downward on it. A few hard pulls and it came free. I tossed it aside and grabbed the other. More resistance with this one. The left leg jerked, the foot kickin’ me in the elbow. “Stop it,” I growled, soundin’ like a feral dog unwillin’ to give up its bone.

With sheer will, I tugged the right boot free. Dusky toes poked through unravelin’ brown yarn. Not worth savin’ by any means. I reached up to unfasten the pants, wrinklin’ my nose, wet material brushin’ against my bare forearm. “No dignity in death,” I muttered as the left leg jerked again, kickin’ my hip this time. “Oh, stop yer fussin’,” I grumbled irritably, workin’ the buttons free one after the other.

The pants fell heavily to the ground. I kicked ‘em aside, duckin’ ‘round behind him to cut his wrists loose. His hands were dusky like his feet, fingers curled like bear claws. My knife sawed through the rope fairly quick and his arms swung free.

I had to haul an old crate over and climb up onto it, but still I had to reach up to grasp the shoulders of his coat to pull it off him. I threw it aside, jumped down, moved around in front of him, reset the crate, and climbed back up. I warned myself not to look at his face.

I warned myself…

…but my eyes rose as of their own will and I found myself lookin’ into wide-open brown eyes, the whites darkened by blood. Some blood had run from his nose and one corner of his mouth leavin’ dark trails behind. Closer up, I could see blood on his shirt and vest in drips and streaks. Well, I could wash it all out, I reasoned. Soak it long enough and it’d all come clean.

I reached up to begin unbuttonin’ the shirt. The vest was already undone. As I worked the second button through the buttonhole the body began to sway and jerk around some. The wind had kicked up again, the tree branches chatterin’ and clackin’ overhead. I shivered. The wind was awful cold.

As I worked the third button free, his arm came up and that claw-like hand grasped my wrist. I thought it was just some weird trick, my wrist becomin’ trapped in the cage-like curvin’ of his fingers, but then I felt those fingers tightenin’ around my flesh and I looked up.

I looked up into the now leerin’ face of the dead man…and suddenly, all around me, like terrible ornaments, a hundred hangin’ men were suddenly danglin’ from that tree, bodies swingin’ and swayin’ in the wind, dancin’ that dead man’s jig I’d seen at every hangin’ since I was a kid.

I screamed and fell backwards off the crate, but that hand, that horrible hand held me fast, my feet danglin’ above the ground. “Let go!” I cried.  “Let go of me!” My voice seemed lost in the wind and the clatterin’ of the branches. My heart felt about to burst. “Let me go!”

The three crows had circled back and were now perched high up in the branches, their raucous cries mockin’ my own cries.

And I knew, I knew as well as I’d ever known anythin’ in this life, that my days of scavengin’, of stealin’ from the dead were over.

No comments:

Post a Comment