Sunday, March 29, 2020

Working From Home

I joined the work from home work force this past Thursday after a coworker tested positive for COVID-19. I'm immune suppressed, have RA and diabetes. It feels weird to roll out of bed, grab breakfast and then confine myself to the desk where I have commandeered Kelly's former desk and set up my computer from work and my desk to be as functional as possible. John has a link to our copier/scanner/fax so I can scan and then fax paperwork to various agencies. I just have to figure out how to get prescriptions and paper work that needs a wet signature signed from five miles away. I can only go in to grab new fax and drop off completed work after normal business hours when everyone else has gone home. I have to wear a mask and gloves. I feel like a theif sneaking into an empty building to grab my next day's work.

I'm staying home otherwise. John is handling all the errands and washing up when he gets home, disinfecting his phone and doing what he has to do to keep our home corona free. I appreciate his efforts. He continues to work from home.

The most difficult thing is that Kelly is considered an essential worker and must go to work daily. This means she has the potential to get sick, or to be a carrier of COVID-19. Therefore, we had agreed that there should be no contact between us except via text messages, phone calls, and Skype. It's extremely difficult not having our usual Sunday morning breakfast together before we run errands. It's especially difficult to not have her over for Sunday dinner...our family time. Today she stopped by to drop off somethings and pick up some things. We utilized the garage since it was raining. standing apart the length of the garage to chat for a few minutes with Revere pacing frantically on the other side of the door because he could hear her voice. It wasn't easy letting her leave without giving her a hug. You never know what the future holds for any of us right now. It makes a mother's heart ache not to be able to hug her daughter. But I did tell her I love her. That's what really matters, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment