Friday, July 10, 2020

Taking a Break from Art and Back to Writing

I was banging around my house the other day, feeling bored and restless, and realized that there are quite a few binders with partially written stories lying around in the office and the dining room. That made me remember that I had started a companion novel to the Black King/White Queen series awhile ago. It took me a little while to unearth it. I was pleasantly surprised to find I'd written over 62,000 words of the novel.

I took a weekend to read through and refamiliarize myself with what I had written so far of this novel. And yes, I actually took some notes which is highly unusual for me. Over the past week I have been adding to the story nd it's about 2/3 written now with the rest of it mapped out in sketchy one line notes to myself where I want to go and what loose ends I need to tie up before the conclusion.

Although I love drawing, my right hand has developed some neuropathy and joint pain which is new. So, I am setting the ink pens aside for the moment and concentrating on writing (as if typing and scrolling with the mouse will do my hand a world of good, but it has been good for relieving the boredom of a COVID environment. I've always been good at entertaining myself in my head by telling myself stories. I remember putting myself to sleep telling myself stories while lying in the dark. Nowadays I need to remind myself to stop and go to bed because I have work in the morning! Sometimes it's not easy to get the freight train of creativity to pull into a station called REST!

Yes, sometimes I probably do walk around during the day looking like the living dead!!! Haha!

I expect The Bowmen to be finished by the end of summer. Some characters from the Black King/White Queen series appear in this novel but they are not the primary characters, just supporting cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment