Wednesday, November 21, 2018

NaNo Novel Validated Last Night

Last night I reached 72,000+ words written of my NaNo novel, White Bishop Amid the Pawns (tentative title), the 3rd in the Romney & Ivy series. I hit 50,000 words on day 6, knowing I was going on a short vacation and then would be crazy busy at work catching up when I came home, and doing a holiday bazaar, a Wordsmiths meeting, and the upcoming Shop Small Saturday event at the local indie bookshop. I really bogged down/slowed down, but got back on pace last night.

Yesterday, before retiring for the night at 11:30PM, I was able to validate my novel and download my Winner's certificate, #7 in seven years. I began writing a NaNo novel every November in 2012. I enjoy the challenge. Most years I have typed like a fiend, the ideas just flowing. This year, seven years older and with more distractions in my life, more things taking up my free time, I'm not sure I'll finish the novel by November 30th, but I'll give it my best shot.

Meanwhile, the gold Finalist in the Best Book Awards decals arrived today to apply to the front cover of The Hanging Man and Other Stories. I stuck one on the front of my copy and took a bunch of stickers to work with me to hand them out to my co-workers who have copies of the book.

Last night I talked to my big sister who is a playwright and children's writer for just over 2 hours. We discussed my new novel The Worth of a Woman, which was a complete departure from my usual genre and style of writing. We also talked about submitting to magazines, something I should be doing but have never had much interest in doing. Maybe in 2019 I'll give that a go. It was fun talking to Lynnmarie and catching up. We live on nearly opposite sides of the same town but don't see one another much. I work too many hours and she doesn't drive. But we do occasionally meet up as she is a WhipCityWordsmith, too.

Now, if I could just get my brother to write something then he could be a Wordsmith like his sisters are!

No comments:

Post a Comment