Saturday, November 10, 2018

The Wild Ocean

Last night it rained and the wind gusted. This afternoon, on the way back to Wells, ME from Portsmouth, NH and Kittery, ME we veered off and took a drive through York and then Ogunquit. The ocean was the way I love to see it- fierce, relentless waves crashing against the rocks and pounding the shore. The tide was still high, close to the road in places with spray coming over low sea walls and rocks to splash the road and sidewalks.

It was windy and cold (low forties dropping to upper 30's with the wind making it feel bitterly cold) but I jumped out of the car to take pictures with the only camera I had with me this vacation, my cellphone cam. I'm happy with the pictures I got, but wish I had the 35mm digital camera with me. It just got left off the to pack list this time.

I did get some good pictures of rollers coming in. I like it when they rise up exposing veins of foam before they begin to curl and then crash. I like to get shots of waves slamming into the rocks and the resulting spray it creates.

What was happening as the waves crested today was that the wind was lifting up a phantom like misty spray along the top of the cresting wave. I managed to capture a few shots of this.

We went up to Nubble Light. A lot of people were there taking pictures of the angry sea. I got some pictures of waves crashing against rocks to the left of the lighthouse. I only took one picture of the lighthouse itself. The surf was my primary focus today.

After taking pictures at Nubble Light my hands were frozen! It was at this point that John realized that he hadn't packed a jacket for this kind of weather. We stopped at the condo so I could have a cup of coffee and thaw out a little then ran to Sanford to the Tractor Supply store there so he could get a Schmidt fleece lined sweatshirt jacket like mine (I'd been wearing just a heavy cardigan but switched to the warmer Schmidt jacket at the beach in Ogunquit.)

Overall, a nice day. Heading home tomorrow...heard the cats miss us!

Meanwhile...some progress made on the NaNo novel with the word count now at 59,116 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment