Monday, May 6, 2019

Articulture Has Come and Gone

This past weekend was Westfield's (my home town) big cultural arts event. This was the first year I attended as both an author and an artist. I am also a board member, so was actually at the church, this year's venue, on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. It was fun being there to see all the artists and authors come in to set up and prepare their displays. I'm the board member responsible for lining up the authors for the past three shows. Each year I've been striving for a good mix of genre and age group level authors...and this year was the best mix ever. Children's, YA, adult, with historical nonfiction, historical fiction, thriller, suspense, crime, mystery, horror, paranormal, fantasy, literary fiction, children's, general fiction, werewolf, witch & warlock….thirteen authors covered a wide spread of genres.

I enjoyed walking around looking at the artist's wrk. I do realistic pen & ink drawings of wildlife, birds, and domestic animals. I also do commissioned pet portraits. It was fun to see photographers, and a variety of different mediums displayed.

However, the very best art of this event happened on Saturday when a young mother brought her young son to my table. He was excited to talk to me about his own art work and his favorite author, Dave Pilkey, the author of the Captain Underpants series, which my daughter read when she was in elementary school. This cheerful, articulate boy told me he was dyslexic, just like his favorite author is. He knew all about Dave Pilkey and how he was made to sit out in the hallway because he couldn't read. It was there that he drew pictures and dreamed up what would later become Captain Underpants. Having a learning disability is not disabling if you strive to do what you love to do and find ways to work around it. Clinton was very enthusiastic about his own drawing and desire to write. I fully believe in supporting and mentoring our creative children. Fortnately for him he has a supportive mother and he made his first step into his writing future by talking to me because I can provide him access to the WhipCity Wordsmiths for writing support, advice, encouragement, and assistance.

I was a nice event. I liked that people I know from the book shop came to visit and show their support. Some friends and family members attended. And I met loads of new peple, and made some important contacts too. I sold two books. They were sort f lost in the middle of the table amid all the art offerings, but people found them.

Already planning ahead for 2020!

No comments:

Post a Comment