Sunday, September 29, 2019

Art ^ Narrative: #3 Nosferatu


NOSFERATU

“My God, what is that thing?” I cried, my words echoing in the burnt out ruins of the gothic church. I turned in circles, the flame erratic in my lantern. “Edward! John! Where are you?” I could no longer hear the low, murmuring voices of my friends, the crunch of their boots over cold cinders and crumbling stone. And then another flash of red as mu lantern caught once more the hideous visage of the thing! It was standing in a charred niche once occupied by a statue of a saint. I shuddered. With a rustling sound, as of bed sheets flapping on a line, it rushed toward me more swiftly that I could have imagined. It was upon me, snarling, snuffling like a hound as it grabbed me, bending my head toward one shoulder. And then…and then, its sharp teeth pierced the flesh of my neck. My heart was pounding, the drumbeat of it loud in my ear. Boom! Boom!...but then it grew softer as a lethargic feeling washed over me. Too late I remembered that stake Edward had carved. I had been gripping it in my right fist. I heard it clatter to the stone floor. Too late…

No comments:

Post a Comment