Sunday, September 29, 2019

Art & Narrative:#4: The Wolfman


THE WOLFMAN



“Johnny,” I said, glancing over my shoulder at the full moon that had risen above the cliffs behind us during our rapid descent from the mountain. My Backpack was heavy with rock and mineral specimens, as was his. My rock hammer, chisels, and small pickaxe jangled discordantly in the loops sewn to the sides of my pack. “Look at the moon. It’s so big and beautiful!” He grunted. “Do you think the ranger left the gate unlocked like he said he would? He wouldn’t lock us in the park, would he?” He didn’t answer me, but he did stop walking. I nearly collided with him. “We shouldn’t have stayed up there so long.” He sort of growled in response. It was my fault we were running late. I had dawdled, delaying our descent.


Shrugging his shoulders, kind of snorting and making throaty sounds, he began writhing, working the heavy pack off his shoulders. “What’s the matter? Is it your asthma? Do you need your inhaler?” Abruptly, he dropped his backpack. I yelped as I leapt backwards to avoid it landing on my toes, stumbled, and fell backwards. Johnny was hunched over, tearing and ripping at his shirt. “Hey, it’s okay! I’ve got your inhaler right here.” I’d worked it out of my jacket pocket, holding it out to him just as he turned toward me.


Captured in the light of the moon, I saw a terrifying creature- part Johnny, part wild beast. His clothing was torn to shreds. Dark fur covered his head and face, his torso, arms, and legs.He threw his head back and howled like a wolf.


My flesh crawled across my bones as he lowered his head, opening his slavering jaws widely. I saw sharp teeth glistening just before he dropped onto all fours.


And then he lunged at me…..

No comments:

Post a Comment