Thursday, September 6, 2018

I Should Have Been a Storm Chaser

All right- I'll admit it here. I should have been a storm chaser.

I should have been a storm chaser, but now I'm too old for that.

I'm the kind of girl who doesn't go running for cover when wild weather arrives. I go running for my camera and dash out into the thick of things to take pictures of- black clouds. I've shot short videos of torrential rain and strong wind making the mighty oak branches whip around.

I find storms exhilarating, and am rather disappointed that I don't live in an area that gets much in the way of hurricanes or tornadoes. I realize these storms can be devastating, but the force and power of nature just fascinates me. I even like blizzards.

If you look through my photo files on my computer you'll see a lot of images related to these 3 distinct subjects- the first is cemeteries, the second is antique buttons, the third is clouds, particularly storm clouds.

I've watched storm chasers on TV and understand it's foolish to risk ones life, especially when Mother Nature is a jillion times stronger than a mere human being and she can fling you like a ragdoll and quite possible kill you, but there is something awesome about a cyclone, a tornado, a water spout, a raging thunderstorm, heat lightning, torrential rain, wild wind, pounding surfs...

...so, if there is a storm outside, my husband and daughter know where to find me- standing on the deck with camera in hand, or standing at a window recording the storm.

John usually has a bath towel waiting for me on the corner of the kitchen counter when I come in...although he doesn't understand my passion for wild weather, he does understand I usually run out the door and forget to grab a towel. Thoughtful man!

No comments:

Post a Comment