Thursday, September 6, 2018

Second Proof Copy of The Worth of a Woman is in the House

The revised cover, revised interior second proof copy of The Worth of a Woman arrived today- left in my driveway just in time for a torrential downpour this afternoon when no one was home. The cardboard was soggy from lying in a puddle, but the two copies inside were only mildly damp feeling. I like the new cover (green) better than the original one (purple) I designed. I might change the picture one more time. I really want a target with a heart bullseye and an axe bisecting the bullseye...might still draw it myself...I'm thinking about it.

Still shooting for a soft release later this month.

 This is the novel that upsets me and makes me cry every time I read it, so I'm really not looking forward to reading it through again. I could use a beta reader, but the subject matter is disgusting and disturbing. The whole book is way outside my comfort zone. The main female character really has a terrible life, made all the more violent and unhappy because she can't conform, she can't be what she's expected to be. She is, essentially, a strong teenaged girl in that she's not afraid to speak up, she's not afraid to stand her ground. But she suffers for it. However, she demonstrates the worth of a woman by her actions...but, just as her value is beginning to be understood by more than just one man...well...I don't want to write spoilers here.

Meanwhile, I'm doing a read through and edits to Memento Mori: Garnet & Quella. This is the first in a series (I'm hoping) in which two people are brought together by ghosts, or paranormal circumstances, death, whatever. I'm still working on that. There are like seventeen versions of this story written or rather partially written...this one is lengthy and needs judicious editing. There's also a bit of a plot twist that needs tweaking. Working on it as time allows.

And finally, had my annual skin check at the dermatologist today, necessary because of the basal cell carcinoma they found back in October 2015 that was carved out of my scalp...ouch. Today she found a small scaly patch on my left cheek. I've been picking at it off and on for a little while, but I can't remember for exactly how long and I never really paid much attention to it. Bam! She frozen it with liquid nitrogen because it looked suspicious, so now I'm walking around with a penny-sized "burn" on my cheek surrounded by red tissue. She also used the liquid nitrogen on a new skin tag on the back of my neck that has been irritating me. I guess I really didn't want a basal cell carcinoma developing further on my cheek, and I'll be happy when the skin tag falls off and both sites heal...but right now? Ouch and ow!






No comments:

Post a Comment