Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Friends can be Uplifting!

I had a terrible day yesterday and thought I'd be in the ER last night. I went to bed and slept like the dead, and slept in a couple hours this morning with Revere snuggled alongside me. The love and devotion of a pet is healing.

I feel fifty percent better today. I was able to keep a lunch date with a friend to talk about this and that, catch up on things and discuss a new writer's group that she has started here in town. I'd already seen myself linked to the group via a posting on facebook by someone else- it hadn't been written in stone yet, but she and I talked about it at lunch and I am in.

Then I went to work where we're all suffering dust allergies from the renovations being made to the main office, and a couple people have nasty spider bites, and another person has body aches. We're all struggling with something, I concluded. So hugs were doled out and received all around today. It certainly does help to work with a wonderful group of people who are very supportive of one another. It can be very stressful and hectic working in a busy medical office, but it's those brief moments between patients, between running here and there when you pause and share a thought, a joke or a word of kindness or empathy with a co-worker that gets you through the day. We have TGIF dances we do that make us smile and laugh at the end of the week.

These people are friends as well as co-workers. They're the people I spend the most time with all week, a whopping 9 straight hours five days a week. I then go home and spend less than 5 hours with my husband and daughter because they're in bed at 9:30PM and 10PM. We eat diner then John's lying on the couch watching sports and westerns, Kelly is in the den on her computer, I'm in the kitchen writing and the cats are circling among us looking for someone to play with them. I interact more with my co-workers than I do my own family during the course of a week day! John, Kelly and I are exhausted and sometimes irritable when we get home and just want to be left alone.

It's my friends who uplift me when I'm not feeling well, feeling frazzled and stressed at work, and struggling with various things. We're social animals and need the contact to feel connected.

So, tonight, a huge thank you to my friends who gave me what I needed to get me through yesterday and today. We'll get through this week and be done with it! I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment