Saturday, March 26, 2016

Yard Work

I thought I'd be doing some writing this weekend, but pleasant weather and a lot of twigs and branches down in the yard persuaded me that it was time to help John do the spring clean-up while we had a chance. The hawthorn trees are treacherous with their thorn-spike branches.

It all went pretty quickly. I had time to hike out to the edge of the ravine and shoot some pictures of the brook. It's not as full as I thought it would be. The reservoirs on the other side of the mountain are fairly full still, despite the lack of snow. John had told me the brook was over the banks not too long ago.

Somewhere in that brook there is a rock in the shape of a heart. During a drought one year Kelly and I hiked up the bone dry bed of the brook snapping pictures and looking for dinosaur footprints in the shale. I have one three-toe print I found hiking previously. I really didn't see the heart rock until I downloaded the pictures to the computer and was editing them. I sort of jumped I the chair when I saw it. Then, I had to create a visual map from the pictures, the order that they were in to try to find the rock again. Its somewhere n the area where the brook branches like a little oxbow. It's located about two houses up from ours but I haven't been able to pinpoint the location.

I have a vague idea, but the brook has to be bone dry because I'm going to have to pry it out of there to bring it home to put with the dinosaur footprint.

The other issue is that I can't hike anymore on uneven surfaces- it kills the soles of my feet. So, I don't know if I'll ever have that heart shaped rock for my collection of rocks...

Anyway-some signs of spring observed today- fat robins, plump buds on the trees, birds building nests, 4-wheelers tearing up the woods...sigh

















No comments:

Post a Comment