Monday, June 27, 2016

Just Write

Tonight I was talking to a dear friend who used to aspire to be a writer. Her life has had some rollercoaster ups and downs and a few loops as well. Currently she's down so we were talking on the phone. I could sense raw energy in her, restlessness, the desire to do something, but she didn't know what to do with herself. So I suggested that she sit down and write something tonight- anything. She had a rough day so we talked on awhile longer about this and that, dredging up some happier memories. I got her to laugh. I told her to write something light and happy- just find a happy moment/memory in her life and write about it. It doesn't have to be lengthy- just a from the heart happy moment that when she rereads it her heart will be warmed and lightened anew.

She's feeling rusty. I told her it doesn't matter if she chooses the right word the first time through or not- that's what editing and proofreading is for. The first step is to write. Write from the heart. She has trouble with commas- comma trauma- is what I call it. I said I have a daughter who will fix all the comma issues- she's my punctuation medic.

I'm hopeful that she's sitting at her computer writing a happy memory right now. The first step back into writing is a huge leap of faith- but I have faith in her. Immense faith that she can do this.

My philosophy is to just write. Raw writing can be very powerful.

I can't wait to read what she sends me that she's written tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment