Thursday, September 10, 2015

My Day Job/My Evening Job

I work as a medical secretary. I've been doing this for about 8.5 years. It's hectic and crazy and stressful quite often with insurance rules and Medicare requirements changing constantly, requiring more documentation then our providers chart. I am always chasing something- additional documentation, missing paperwork, signatures...so

When I get home I need a way to unwind, and writing has always been my chosen outlet for stress relief. I used to tell a co-worker I was going to go home and shoot the puppy, meaning I was so frustrated and angry about something at work that it spelled certain doom for a character in a story or book. Writing a character off keeps me off the streets and out of prison! No one suffers, only fictitiously.

When people ask me what I do outside of work it makes me wonder what they do. I do housework, manage the house, and I write. Sometimes, if I'm really not in the mood to write when I'm sick, for instance) then I catch up on reading. I don't waste my life parked in front of the TV. I go all creative and pound out fiction and feel as if I've accomplished something at the end of the day.

My long time dream has been to self-publish my Christmas stories in book form. I did that this summer- plus ten additional books. The chaos in my dining room has been lessened. I am making noticeable progress, and I've sold a few books along the way. I have more copyrights to apply for at the end of the month, but I've got all the books self published in June and July sent to Washington DC. Seven to go.

Positive feedback is still trickling in from all the freebies I've given away for just that purpose. At least no one has said "You suck!" to my face- that makes me happy.

I won't give up my day job, nor will I give up my hobby-job. I like them both, and one puts money in my pocket so I can have some fun with the other.

It works for me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment